Have you ever wonder what emotional eating actually is?
I did some googling just to check if it is what I defined in my head.
Surprisingly or not, they matched.
Emotional eating is when you eat to cope with negative emotions, when you are not physically hungry, and to try to make you feel better.
I think the best way to simplify is:
Emotional eating is eating to feel better.
Now, when you eat to feel better what happens?
1. You eat when you are not physically hungry, which means, you are consuming more calories than your body needs.
2. You eat foods that are high in sugar and flour. This type of foods are highly processed, with no nutrients.
3. Sum of 1 and 2 is weight gain.
4. You train your brain to require sugar and flour to feel better so you can have a dopamine hit in your brain. (that can lead to addiction).
5. When you are eating you only feel better for few seconds or minutes, after that, you keep feeling the negative emotion you are trying to get rid of.
6. You feel bad after eating too much of foods that are not good for you and to make you feel better, you eat some more. That creates a vicious circle.
There are some many reasons why we emotional eat, but usually is because we want to avoid a negative emotion.
But some people can also emotional eat when they are experiencing a positive emotion.
The problem with emotional eating is that you make you brain crave more sugar and more flour to be able to give you more of "feel better" neurotransmitter called dopamine. So, you eat a cookie, then you want a cookie even more, you eat one more cookie and then next time you need more cookies to feel the same "feel good" sensation.
Then it becomes so automated, a habit, that makes a big change much more difficult.
Before you eat anything, ask yourself these questions:
1. Am I physically hungry?
2. Why am I eating this?
By asking these questions you will become more aware of what and why you are eating and that can be powerful.
If you don't know if you are an emotional eater, I recommend you to do the same exercise above. Ask yourself those question and answer honestly.
If you are eating to avoid a negative emotion and/or you are not physically hungry, if you are overweight, or putting on weight, you are probably an emotional eater.
But do not worry. There is a way out of this.
If you are an emotional eater and ready to change, let's have a call, le't explore why you are emotional eating and what emotions you are trying to avoid. Let's see what is possible and how much your life can be better if you know how to eat only when your body needs.
Book a free call with me here